Not an especially pretty cake, but a tasty one, and very easy to make and adapt.
- 2 large eggs
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 85g soft brown sugar
- 350g courgette, coarsely grated
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 300g plain flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Butter and line a 2lb loaf tin with baking parchment. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, oil and sugar, then add the courgettes and lemon rind.
- In another bowl, combine the remaining ingredients with a pinch of salt.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture, then pour into the tin.
- Bake for about an hr, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool, then serve with lemon curd topping or a thin lemon icing.